Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht rugby chat thread

Options
  • 04-04-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

I know there's a thread about this in the rugby thread but I'm just posting it here purely as an attempt to promote the game. This is the biggest game to be played in Galway since the Semi final first leg of this competition against Sale five years ago so I'd appeal to anyone who usually doesn't support Connacht or who only ventures out to the games against Munster or Leinster or who went to the South Africa game in 2007 or who can't get to the Friday evening games which is a major obstacle, you're province needs you again.

Despite major improvements on the field this season Connacht's position is in danger once again and they need the support of the province to show the IRFU that there is a good team west of the shannon and they have the backing of the supporters. With a home semi final guaranteed if we win Saturday there is no shortage of motivation.

Please if you are at a loose end on Saturday get out and support Connacht in this massive game. Keep an eye on the Connacht website for the promotional match poster which will be put up during the week I hope. I'll put it up here if It goes up. Please print it off and put it up in your place of work, School, centre wherever.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Common sense has prevailed at last and the game will not clash with Galway United's game on Friday.

Come on Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I highly encourage this. The fastest rising sport in the country and we need to encourage Fionn Carr, Gavin Duffy and the Boys of Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You cannot post here to promote an event, see charter.
    There's plenty of dedicated forums out there, on and off boards.

Edit - ok, I've been asked to open this again and have reconsidered. Since Galway United has their own thread I guess it's only fair to have one for the Galway Rugby too.

The charter states it's not ok to start threads to promote events, the reason for this is that boards/this forum would be over run with low post count wonders promoting events simply because they stand to make money somehow out of posting here.

If you think that I've made a bad decision as moderator feel free to PM me. After all I'm just a another guy.
    Note that a PM may not change my mind but it could be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

For all the people who are watching Munster on the telly or the 6 nations. You have to come down for what is essential for Rugby in the west of Ireland.

If Connacht do well in this competition, they will be playing next season on the same level as the other Irish teams with TV coverage, better sponsorship, better players, better facilities and better quality opposition from all over Europe.

It's hard to believe that average attendance is only 1,500 this year with over 500,000 people living in Connacht. Help bring this up and help bring Connacht up to the level of Munster, Leinster, etc.

Hope to see you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

Cannot wait for this match. It is great to have big match rugby in galway again. hopefully with a big crowd behind them the Connacht lads pull the win out of the bag. they have been playing very well of late and have a great chance of getting to the semi. For anyone that is not familiar with the setup in the Sportsground, it is well worth the trip. Will a full house it can be rockin so hopefully it is heaving on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm sorry that my original post didn't come in under the charter. I hadn't read it tbh. The only point to my post was to try something similar to the Galway United thread more than promoting. I am only a supporter and most certainly won't make anything out of posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Any idea if there are still tickets left?

think there are tickets available from the clubhouse but also ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Loads of tickets Brian, you will prob be able to pay on the gate too. Its going to be a cracking game if Connacht play to their recent form - a great win against Edinburgh on Friday night, and should have beaten Leinster on their home turf the week before.
    For those of you who haven't been before, come along and try it - thats what I did about 5 years ago and I was hooked, have been a regular at games ever since. Plus you'll get a preview of some future Irish stars - Sean Cronin and Ian Keatley have already been capped and Fionn Carr will be an absolute star soon - we may not be able to hang onto him so get down and see him play now while you can!

Biko, thanks for reopening the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Anyone that is coming, PLEASE try to encourage friends others to come along and support the team. Come on Connacht!!!!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zzippy wrote: »
    Loads of tickets Brian, you will prob be able to pay on the gate too. Its going to be a cracking game if Connacht play to their recent form - a great win against Edinburgh on Friday night, and should have beaten Leinster on their home turf the week before.

I was told the stand was sold out and just wanted to check, you don't think theres any chance of it selling out? If not I'll just pay at the gate.

I was told the stand was sold out and just wanted to check, you don't think theres any chance of it selling out? If not I'll just pay at the gate.

Connacht Rugby will never turn away a fan, "sold-out" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

The Enclosed Stand (up behind the glass) is sold out - Plenty of tickets left for the regular ground.

No away support, so there will be tickets on the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

About how much are tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Adults €25
    Students/Seniors/Unwaged €20
    Kids €10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

biko wrote: »
    Edit - ok, I've been asked to open this again and have reconsidered. Since Galway United has their own thread I guess it's only fair to have one for the Galway Rugby too.
    I have zero interest in Connacht Rugby, in fact I'm anti-Connacht Rugby if anything, but I agree it should have it's own thread.

I'd suggest re-naming the title to "Connacht Rugby". Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Why would you be anti-Connacht rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    Adults €25
    Students/Seniors/Unwaged €20
    Kids €10

Cheers. A lot more than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Who might we have in the semi?

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Who might we have in the semi?

Draw won't be made until Sunday evening. Toulon/Llanelli, Wasps/Gloucester or Newcastle/Cardiff and we'd be at home in the semis but one step at a time, there's a tough 80 minutes ahead yet.:)

Galway Advertiser Preview:
    Connacht in confident form as they prepare to confront Bourgoin

Galway Advertiser, April 08, 2010.
    We haven’t had a home quarter- final for a long time and in that sense there is a bit of pressure on us, but there’s also a lot of confidence.” - Connacht coach Michael Bradley.

By Linley Mackenzie
    Connacht’s front-line players will return from injury for Saturday’s much-anticipated European quarter-final against Bourgoin at the Sportsground on Saturday (1pm).
    Captain John Muldoon, No 8 George Naoupu, and centres Niva Ta’auso and Keith Matthews all passed fitness tests yesterday morning, boosting Connacht’s confidence ahead of Saturday’s crunch Amlin Challenge Cup fixture.
    Connacht’s unbeaten run in Europe and consequential top seeding has provided the province with the best opportunity to qualify for Heineken Cup rugby via Europe since the tournament began in 1996. A win on Saturday will ensure a home semi-final, representing a huge incentive for the squad. They also enter the match in better form than previous seasons, on the back of two strong Magners League performances, including last weekend’s deserved 22 - 21 win over Edinburgh.
    Coach Michael Bradley believes Connacht is better placed than ever before to realise its ambitions.
    “It’s all part of a process. You do not get into a quarter final by accident. We are unbeaten in Europe this season, we are the top qualifiers - all flags in the ground and achievements along the way. But this is the business end of the season and here we have a great opportunity to do it in front of our own fans. We are going into the match in a positive frame of mind - the strongest we have been in the period I have been here,” says Bradley.
    The harder competitive edge the squad has demonstrated this season will be tested against a French side that travels without fear. Bourgoin’s pedigree is undisputed. Challenge Cup winners in the inaugural tournament, they disposed of favourites London Irish in the Madejski Stadium at this stage last year before losing to Northampton in the final. Now they arrive in Galway intent on finishing that task this season.
    “Obviously there are warning bells for us because they are well aware that if they get past us they have a home semi-final and probably a final in France. However we have four or five of their games and 10 of their last team sheets so we have a good feel for them, and we have information from Leeds. We have as good a feel on them as we need to challenge them on Saturday,” he says.
    That information reveals a “strong scrummaging side, traditional French side physicality, an outhalf who pulls the strings, two big wingers, an aggressive style of play, and structured yet dynamic attacking strategies in the scoring zone”.
    Although Bourgoin lie in the lower regions of the French Championship, they still represent a “ a massive challenge”.
    John Muldoon, who returns from injury to captain the side, says the spirit and desire shown last week was outstanding.
    “We are coming in with a couple of good performances on our back. It’s a big day. One of the things we have been talking about is leaving a legacy behind us and to be part of history - hopefully that will show in the next couple of weeks.
    “They are special days in Europe. We haven’t had a home quarter-final for a few years so we are hoping the crowd will come out and support us.”
    Bradley echoes those sentiments, saying the crowd can play a huge part in creating a “carnival atmosphere” at the Sportsground.
    “It’s very important to us that we do get that sort of carnival atmosphere and everyone rowing in behind the side because the challenge is going to be massive. We haven’t had a home quarter- final for a long time and in that sense there is a bit of pressure on us, but there’s also a lot of confidence.”
    Although Ray Ofisa and Liam Bibo remain on the injured list, Connacht will welcome back Muldoon and George Naoupu to boost Johnny O’Connor in the back row. Although Robbie Morris is also passed fit, it is likely he will start from the bench, with Brett Wilkinson, Sean Cronin, and Jamie Hagan expected to form the front row. In the second row Michael Swift is the player who revels in French physicality, and alongside him Bradley has the option of either line-out expert Bernie Upton or the more physical Mike McCarthy.
    Ian Keatley and Frank Murphy will link up again at halfback as will Ta’auso and Matthews in the centres. Fionn Carr will be looking to extend his try scoring record, while on the other wing Bradley will likely select from last week’s try scorer Brian Tuohy or Troy Nathan. Against the French, Nathan may have the edge for his defensive capabilities. The experienced Gavin Duffy, who won a Challenge Cup medal with Harlequins, will complete the three-quarters line.
    Connacht have not won a quarter-final since 2004/2005, and all the recent pointers suggest they should repeat that feat again in Saturday.
    “It’s an exciting time and that’s why this match is a big, big match for us.” says Bradley. “ We are going into it with a lot of confidence, and the key element is creating an atmosphere in which we can conduct our business. If we play well and are focused on our task, then we will win the match and march into the semi-final.”
    Connacht XV (possible): G Duffy, T Nathan, N Ta’auso, K Matthews, F Carr, I Keatley, F Murphy, B Wilkinson, S Cronin, J Hagan, M Swift, B Upton/M McCarthy, J Muldoon, J O’Connor, G Naoupu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Draw won't be made until Sunday evening. Toulon/Llanelli, Wasps/Gloucester or Newcastle/Cardiff and we'd be at home in the semis but one step at a time, there's a tough 80 minutes ahead yet.:)

CONFIDENCE!;)
    Im very confident anyway...any big names in Bourgoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

darrenh wrote: »

My theory is that there is a a lot of ill feeling amongst Galway United fans about Connacht playing most home games on Friday nights which clash with Galway United games. It was a silly decision by Connacht to play home games on Fridays.

I have work colleagues who would like to go to both but give preference to Galway united games. I am sure there are Connacht fans who would like to go to Galway United games too but can't.

Back on topic, there seems to be a great buzz around town about the Connacht game. Here's hoping for a good game and a favourable result.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Meh Rugby is miles better and more entertaining than Soccer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ErnieBert wrote: »
    My theory is that there is a a lot of ill feeling amongst Galway United fans about Connacht playing most home games on Friday nights which clash with Galway United games. It was a silly decision by Connacht to play home games on Fridays.

I have work colleagues who would like to go to both but give preference to Galway united games. I am sure there are Connacht fans who would like to go to Galway United games too but can't.

Back on topic, there seems to be a great buzz around town about the Connacht game. Here's hoping for a good game and a favourable result.....!

Connacht play a max of 12 home games most seasons, from September to April. The LOI season runs from March to September AFAIK. Thats hardly a big overlap, and I'd say very very few Connacht home games clash with GUFC home games. Silly decision? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    CONFIDENCE!;)
    Im very confident anyway...any big names in Bourgoin?
    Boyet, their outhalf is very handy. Their front row is supposed to be decent in the scrum too.

Cant' wait. Can't wait.
    Would be great to win this on Saturday and get a big un in the semi. Heard someone (Matt Williams i think) on the box talking about it and aparently these guys are in a shocking financial state and are basiclly playing for their wages.
    They'll put up one hell of a fight, but hopefully the Connacht lads will be able for them. GWAN Connacht!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Why are the tickets more expensive than usual? I know its a Euro game but its still only the Challenge Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

darrenh wrote: »
    ErnieBert wrote: »
    My theory is that there is a a lot of ill feeling amongst Galway United fans about Connacht playing most home games on Friday nights which clash with Galway United games.
    That isn't the reason. I've no intention of turning this into a rugby/soccer bashing thread. Good luck to Connacht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement